Friday, February 13, 2009

Shallow Like Spilled Milk (there's no use crying about it)

I've developed a recent interest (that's a less-creepy word for 'obsession') with reading blogs and looking at pictures on the internet of eternally shallow subject matter, i.e. fashion and blatant narcissism. (Speaking of the narcissism word, I hear Madonna has an upcoming 48 picture spread in some magazine). This comes after a past 'interest' in reading magazines and looking glossy spreads of eternally shallow subject matter. What else is there to do as the receptionist at a large fashion company with time on my hands and Italian Vogue on the table? P.S. Italian magazine are totally down with nudity as a fashion statement.

There's one blog in particular that I won't link to because a) it's embarrassing to admit, and b) I don't want anyone else to get sucked into that kind of narcissism that features a thirty-something LA woman eternally talking about what she's wearing to work that day, and things she has worn in the past, and how she does her makeup. Each post features at least 6 - 10 photos of hers truly posing in today's outfit, many of which are horrendous but are carried solely on her own pomp and good hair. And even though I can't stand her horrific and embarrassing obsession with her own external self, I can't help but look at her blog every few weeks and ogle all the strange things she has done with a thrift-store sequin dress. It's like listening to Ryan Seacrest in the morning.

I don't know why I consistently subject myself to people who are like "look at my new (insert $700 purse name) bag for this week! It's so now!!" and then doing the same thing the next week. I hope I never develop this need for an over $10k/year shoe budget (Jesse - never let me do this). Perhaps I just look to see what looks I can create from shopping at Ross and Nordstrom's Rack and Payless Shoe Source. And the whore stores, which are great! I just make a pact with myself to never buy anything in them that involves the following: Ruffles, nylon lace, neon colors, metal trim, really big rhinestones (unless in belt buckle form), sequins, see-through-ness, plunging necklines, miniskirts/shorts, or those jumper-dress-things that are like a skirt with suspenders that seem to be popping up in windows everywhere. So that leaves me with about 4 things to choose from, which is a pretty good narrowing-down, I think.

Just a side note on the purse thing above: I have had the same purse for 3 years. And before that? The same purse. I just replaced it with a new the same purse. It has a cell phone pocket on the outside, which is all I really want in an accessory. I mean really. How do you find your new uber-cool cell phone when it's buried in a bag that would serve well as a parachute in a plane-crash emergency? Jesse need not worry about making a bag budget in the future. Just EVERYTHING ELSE.

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHA!

    I assume you're talking about ...Love Maegan? I know what you mean. Sometimes I wonder why I even read her blog. Yet I continue to keep reading it. It's like a guilty blog pleasure. =p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shhhhh!!!! You weren't supposed to say!!!!

    ReplyDelete