Sunday, February 15, 2009

American Teenage Slaughter of English (as evidenced by Taylor Swift)

I won't even go into the likes of English slaughter by the genres of "Rap" and "Hip-Hop", because it seems as if they are barely speaking the language in the first place, and that the whole point is kind of "who can make the biggest mistakes on purpose?" OOH. I KNOW. I'LL THROW MY HANDS IN THE AYER, AY-AYER, AYER. Because "air" now has two syllables.

Anyway. I've spoken of KIIS FM, Ryan Seacrest in the Morning, which is where I heard "Love Story" by Taylor Swift. She has it all - fame, fortune, a body worthy of posing on Women's Health even though she hadn't but barely reached her legal maturity. Look at this! female readers of a health magazine! This could all be yours! If you only but had the metabolism of pubescence that you wasted eating pizza in high school with your friends and forging lasting bonds instead of touring the country on a bus and connecting through myspace! I don't actually mean to bust on Taylor Swift, though. I think that she's rather talented, all considered.

BUT!

"You were Romeo, I was a Scarlet Letter?"

I just about scowled aloud at that. "You were the most romantic hero of all written history" - which I can dig - "I was the flamboyantly embroidered punishment symbol of a puritanical harlot who cuckolded her husband and brought about the death-by-shame of the man I loved and sinned, who was the heart and spirit of a whole town?" Does she know what "The Scarlet Letter" was about? And then the next line is "and my Daddy said 'stay away from Juliet'". So she's both aforementioned parole punishment and also the Shakespearean romantic heroine who saved herself only for Romeo? You can't be both.

Pardon my irritation. I know it's a dumb subject for a blog. It just drives me insane. Also - please notice that she switches audiences in the last stanza. Bah!

Also also notice: I knew all the words without looking them up. Guess who hums it to herself in the car?

2 comments:

  1. I love your blogs, Jenny. This one is a prime example of why. :)
    Finn

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, actually jacob and I have had this conversation and felt the same way! I sent him a copy of your blog so he could feel vindicated.

    ReplyDelete