Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wine-O, Mine-O

We went back home this weekend!

OH, how I miss having friends with whom to sit around and eat unhealthy things and not worry about waistlines and whether or not after eating something you will continue to fit into next season's daring fashions. It was like visiting another, happier planet, where friendship matters more than fashion. It also helps, I think, that everyone lives withing 10 minutes of each other.

Jesse's mom made us corned beef and cabbage for the special occasion of our visit - while I appreciate the MAD effort and time that goes into making a 3 pound hunk of otherwise unusable cow into a salty brothy concoction ... this does not really count towards the "food" category of things in a kitchen. I do not like it, Sam I Am. It made Jesse sick for a whole day due to the richness (fattiness). Maybe that means he won't lust after me making it for special occasions. Which I wouldn't anyway. Guess what he's getting for graduating from doctor school? NOT IRISH FOOD.

It was so nice to sit with a group of 4 friends and my lil' (BIG) brother and just drink 3 bottles of wine and eat bread with oil and balsamic and baked brie with brown sugar and with bleu cheese, and then play Yahtzee because no one will play word games with me. It was nice to sit with friends, period. Drinking 3 bottles of wine and eating 2 loaves of bread and a wedge of cheese just isn't the same when it's only you and the person you're with EVERY DAY. You get fatter that way, and sometimes have wine hangovers, which are less rumble-gutsy but more headachey than other hangovers. It's like your body is like "these are grapes. Grapes are natural for human consumption. WAIT. THESE GRAPES HAVE GONE BAD. I'll teach you not to eat bad grapes. Here is a headache lesson."

And so. Wonder of wonders. I miss small-town life quite a bit. Though I might not have gotten up the gumption to take up sewing if I still had friends. So there is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment