Friday, December 19, 2008

Talk About Oddballs

Previously described was my full-company Christmas bash, complete with drunkennes, karaoke, and bowling. And all-you-can-eat fried things. That was a hip, young, modern company at its prime.

Today was our departmental Christmas lunch... not quite so hip, but amusing in the oddity of it all.

I walked the 1/4 mile to the other building of our company, where all the raw materials go, with one other girl to set up the tables.. which were already set up in all their folding glory, covering in shimmering 100% silk. Which is viable as scrap, where I work. I put up our $0.99 tabletop Christmas trees, purchased by my boss this morning on her whirlwind trip to "I forgot Christmas decorations?" before work. We also got door covers and poinsettias.

I set up a buffets worth of Christmas cheer in the form of.... delivery Chinese food.

I sat at a table full of six females, on a decorative wooden patio bench. I was the only white chick.

My table was surrounded by 4 tables of Mexican men, snarfing the Chinese food and warm cola.

The tables were placed in the center of a 48,000 square foot warehouse with open doors, in 55 degree weather, with trains rumbling by at regular intervals.

To summarize: 20 Mexican men, 6 chicks, $300 of Chinese food and Trader Joe's truffles in a Warehouse bigger than the bulk-foods section of Costco in a winter coat with Christmas music twinkling in the background. Amalgam.

We had expensive cupcakes from Sprinkles Cupcakes for dessert. w00t!

No comments:

Post a Comment